Akula's 30 W lantern replication

• 2K Views
  • Last Post 2 weeks ago
cd_sharp posted this 26 March 2017

This is the device shot taken from youtube. I noticed there are several versions of the schematic, slightly different that were posted on several forums. I took the screenshot from the video uploaded by Chris and I will consider this one as the basis for my replication:

I also created a Circuit Wizard file. It's a habit of mine to run a simulation before trying anything for real, just to make sure nothing blows up. It would be useful if we would be able to upload files also. I'd like to share the .cwz file with you.

• Liked by
  • admin
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes

Here is the parts list:

and the cwz file screenshot:

• Liked by
  • admin
thaelin posted this 26 March 2017

This is a classic unit that I have watched with interest. So wished that they would allow some others to know how it really is made and works. The world seriously need this kind of tech now. Soon my friend, soon.

thay

• Liked by
  • admin

I have some trouble finding MBR3545 diodes, so I'm looking for another type of diodes. Here is datasheet:

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/169/mbr3545_thru_mbr35100r-218591.pdf

It has a max current of 35A and forward voltage of 0.68V.

Considering this, do you think it would be a bad idea to use instead MBR1635?

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/149/MBR1660-1011072.pdf

It supports a current of 16A (but that should not be a problem for max 30W power) and has a lower forward voltage, 0.63V. Do you think it's a good idea?

• Liked by
  • admin
cd_sharp posted this 29 March 2017

It's a work in progress. There is something else I don't know for sure, the inductance that I marked in red:

which is this one in the schematic:

I can see there are 7 or 8 turns. To anyone that replicated this, how many turns did you use for this coil?

• Liked by
  • Chris
cd_sharp posted this 31 March 2017

I finished the circuit and I gave it a try. Only LED HL11 lights up for a second and then turns off. I probably made a mistake ( although I double checked everything before powering it). Any advice?

• Liked by
  • Chris
Chris posted this 31 March 2017

Hi Cd_Sharp - If I may recommend, perhaps smaller steps?

Do you have a function Generator? I would try to resonate the Coils and find where the resonant points are, look at Input and Output at these points.

The problem is all coils will have slight differences in Inductance and so on. 

Also, like the MrPreva Experiment, the Coils will have an optimum configuration, Akula also used a Function Generator to find the resonance point on his Coils also:

I hope this helps!

Chris

• Liked by
  • gnosticman
cd_sharp posted this 31 March 2017

Hi, Chris!

Do you have a function Generator?

Yes

I would try to resonate the Coils and find where the resonant points are, look at Input and Output at these points.

Do you mean I should put them in a Mr Preva experiment schematic and find the "magic" frequency? This depends on the value of the capacitor also, right?

Chris posted this 31 March 2017

Hi Cd_Sharp - That's just what I would do.

The Coils are where we need to concentrate, looking at the Current Directions at the same time. Ensuring we have met the requirements needed to "Generate" the excess Energy we are looking for.

It may be the Core may need to be changed? I have found some cores better than others? 

Just trying to help, hope you don't mind me pointing out these things.

I posted this to My Replication.

All the best

Chris

Edit: Sorry, your question on the Capacitor, normally: f = 1 / 2 PI Sqt(L C)

But in this situation, you will find, this is not so important, the capacitor is just acting as a Reservoir and the Resistor's R1 & R3 is used to take the square edges off the DC Switching. 

• Liked by
  • gnosticman
Chris posted this 01 April 2017

Hi Cd_Sharp - I should say, Load is important. This depends on the device as to what is meant by this. But basically, the Resistance of the Load along with the Resistance of the Coils (NOTE: Resistance of the Coils changes during Operation) determines the Current that flows in the Coils.

The Current that flows in the Coils IS the Magnetic Field, calculated as: B = µ0 I N / L

So, the very flow of Current (I), through Turns (T) at Length (L) with Permeability (µ0) determines the Magnetic Field (B)

Electromagnetic Induction states that the Magnetic Field B and the density of it is a dependant value of Electromagnetic Induction: E.M.F = dPhiB/dt

So there is a little bit of fiddling, getting the right Load, making sure the Magnetic Fields are as high as you can, but not saturating the core.

I hope this helps!

All the best

Chris

cd_sharp posted this 01 April 2017

Hi, Chris! I used your schematic, this one:

with the only difference that I used 2200 uF electrolytic capacitors and ultra fast diodes.

First I used the U+U ferrite cores shown in the previous posts. I swept slowly the entire range 3khz-65khz with sine wave input and I saw no magic frequencies. In the process I burned 2 LEDs. Then I switched to a 1.2 W light bulb.

I changed to E+E ferrite cores and and I made 15/45 turns. The ferrite is 3F3 and has a bigger inductance factor than the U cores(which are 3C90):

Again I tried to find any frequencies where the input drops and the output grows or at least stays the same with no success. Then it struck me a question: if there are 15 turns in the primary and 45 in the secondary, why do they look symmetrical(also in the VTA they look symmetrical):

I guess the secondary is wrapped first and 30 turns are placed on a core piece and 15 turns on the other core piece. Then the primary 15 turns are wrapped on top the existing 15 turns of the secondary. What do you think, should I give it a try? Any other ideas what I did wrong?

Thanks

• Liked by
  • Chris
Show More Posts
Close